Good News, Bad News and No News
Good News: Mike is busy revising marketing training materials for a major Thousand Oaks-based bio-tech firm.
Bad News: No blog post this week.
No News: You figure it out (Hint: Don’t over-think it!).
Next week, I promise you the absurdly twisted tale of how an English test kept me from attending a seminal event in Hippie Culture (honest!).
Meanwhile, let me cast aside the mantle of jester for a moment (and only a moment, I promise) and mention 2 mitzvahs that I suggest you consider:
- Ritchie Hayward, the incredible drummer in Little Feat, needs a liver transplant.* Yeah, I know, your liver is otherwise occupied — that ain’t where I’m going with this. Here’s some info about a fund raiser to help Richie with his overwhelming medical expenses.
- The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has a category of inductees known as “sidemen.” Incredibly, the late, and truly great, keyboard genius Nicky Hopkins has not yet been inducted. For those of you who know who Nicky was, this must certainly be baffling. For those of you who don’t recognize the name Nicky Hopkins, let me give you a brief (and totally inadequate) summary of this man’s resume — I assure you, you know his work. He played keyboard (generally piano) with the following groups:
- The Kinks
- The Who
- The Beatles (piano break on Revolution)
- The Rolling Stones (from We Love You through Angie — listen to his amazing piano part on the studio version of Sympathy for the Devil or watch him play it on The Rolling Stones Rock’n’Roll Circus DVD)
- Jefferson Airplane (he played on the Volunteers album and with the band at Woodstock)
- The Jeff Beck Group
- Quicksilver Messenger Service
Please sign this on-line petition to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation:
Yeah, I know, there’s poverty, war, pollution, etc. — who gives a shit about some rock musicians? Well, I do! And, if you have been enjoying my blog, I suspect that you might too.
So… what can we learn from this?
- Mike needs to earn a living like the rest of you.
- Keith Richards may be indestructible, but some rock musicians do get sick (poor Nicky Hopkins had Crohn’s disease his whole life… trust me, you don’t want to know).
Do what you can do.
* A shout out to Michelle (Basil) McFee, who alerted me to Ritchie Hayward’s situation. Michelle, sadly no stranger to serious medical problems, is a great soul and will be appearing in a “60s Flashback” blog post later this year!
Filed under: Humorous Musings | 3 Comments
Tags: Jeff Beck, Jefferson Airplane, Little Feat, m. j. dorn, Michael Dorn, Nicky Hopkins, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, The Beatles, The Kinks, The Rollings Stones, The Who